Skowhegan, ME

I have had four x-rays for my chest, one ct of my abdomenand one bone scan. i am worried whether i have an increased chance of developing cancer from this radiation.

Dr. Anthony Filly
Radiology 27 years experience
Don't worry : The amt from the x-rays is almost nothing. Similar to air travel which i assume you don't worry about getting cancer. One ct scan of the abdomen and a bone scan are equivalent to about 7 years of normal life in the us. So same amt of radiation from sun and cosmic rays in that time. Radiation from imaging at those levels has never been shown to cause cancer.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology 30 years experience
Risk is too low to: Accurately measure. Chest xray risk is negligible, 1 abd ct is equal to about 3 years of natural background radiation, and the bone scan equal to about 1.5 years. Please see this site for more details: http://www.Radiologyinfo.Org/en/safety/?Pg=sfty_xray.
Dr. Steven Chmielewski
Diagnostic Radiology 31 years experience
Extremely unlikely.: Your cumulative dose is not enough to be concerned about.
Pathology 45 years experience
Relax: Radiation workers are allowed up to 20 mSV per year and nobody's shown an increased cancer risk for these folks. Your radiation isn't even this much, once. Be thankful for technology that spots disease early. Best wishes.
Last updated Jan 4, 2022