Australia

How long does it takes to get radiation induced cancer? should i worry after 5 to 10 years as i had on chest ct scan month ago with 4.8msv dose?

Dr. Mark Roberts
Not to worry: Radiation-induced cancer typically takes prolonged exposure to small doses of radiation, measured in rads. The chances of your developing a cancer from a single ct are reassuringly small. I would refer you to this website..http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/faqs/radiation.htm. I hope this helps!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Natalie Sieb
May not even happen: The average ct scan in the us exposes us anywhere between 3 and 10 msv. A dose of 10 msv increases the risk of getting any cancer by 0.1% and the risk of fatal cancer by 0.05%. According to the national research council and the U.S. Fda, any person has a 20% risk of dying from cancer in their lifetime. One ct scan of 10msv would increase the chance to 20.05%. Not a big risk. Don't worry too much.
Last updated Sep 16, 2021