Vincentown, NJ

is it possible to get impetigo on your buttocks from a cut ? i can't tell if the cuts are just infected or irritated from the rubbing of clothing.

Dr. Monib Zirvi
Dermatology 21 years experience
Yes: Minor cuts can often become infected with staph and become crusted on the surface. This yellow golden crusted area is known as impetigo. Bactroban (mupirocin) ointment is a prescription that is highly effective at treating this even if the staph aureus involved is mrsa. If you have recurrent lesions, treating the inner nostrils with the ointment for 1 week each month may prevent outbreaks.