Pine Bluff, AR

can mucinex (guaifenesin) dm be used for a person with asthma with mucus in throat...and a cough dry and productive?

Dr. Brian Bezack
Pediatric Pulmonology 18 years experience
Not preferably: I never like to use medicine that has dm in it for my asthma patients. This suppresses cough and can have deleterious effects such as increased chance of lower airway infection by causing the mucus to get stuck there. I prefer an expectorant to keep the cough loose, giving you the ability to get it up and out of the airway.
Dr. Richard Roberts
The "active" ingredient in Mucinex is guaiafenisin. It has been hawked by drug huxters as an expectorant for for over 50 years-- something wonderful for loosening up phlegm so you can cough it up from your congested lungs. When the AMA Drug Evaluations was published in 1980, pharm companies were aghast, because it evaluated which drugs worked best. This one was "at least as good as a placebo".
Sep 24, 2015
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Pulmonary Critical Care 25 years experience
Asthma controllers: Better yet are bronchodilators and asthma controllers, maybe even prednisone. Ok to use Mucinex (guaifenesin) if you need to.