Mount Washington, KY
A 28-year-old female asked about a 55-year-old male:

56 yr old diabetic male w/ 4th degree kidney disease. what would the results of a transplant be, healing time, life expectancy after, dialysis after?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
CKD and transplant: Your question is difficult to answer. You will not have a transplant until you start dialysis, chronic kidney disease stage 6 (ckd), so you are not a candidate for one now. The results of a kidney transplant depend how well the kidney is a match and how well the anti-rejection drugs will work for you. The answers to your questions about life expectancy and dialysis are too speculative to answer.