Miami, FL

In order for talk therapy to work 1 has to talk-but what if patient is so disgusted by what happened that cannot even get words out?

Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 29 years experience
Talk Therapy: Then it will take more than one session. This is normal. You may need to build up trust with your therapist, feel them out and see how they respond. But, in my experience patients rarely surprise me and i believe most therapists have already heard "it all'. Be brave. Get help. It is our secrets that make us sick. When we tell our secrets to someone safe they lose their power over us.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology 36 years experience
Sometimes it takes a: While before the words can come out, even in talk therapy. Your therapist will be patient and help you find the words. If it is so terrible, they will understand your need to take time and even sit in silence with you for as long as it takes to trust them with the terrible issues you are trying to overcome. Be strong and go even if you don't have the words yet.
Dr. Brian Lynch
Disgust: Insightful question. In a situation such as this i suggest people talk about the emotion _talk about the feeling until you're ready to talk about the situation. It is possible you may not need to talk about the actual incident if you deal with the disgust. But if you do, as you point out , will certainly be free or to talk about it. Consider ; fear, shame, distress ; anger.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
Slowly : I would say that there is no rush in getting the entire problem solved in one session. If someone is so disgusted they can't get the words out, what I hear in that is that it's very hard for them to organize their thoughts. It's okay for thought organization to take place slowly and for verbalizations to also come slowly. Past a certain point, competent psychotherapy cannot be pressured.

Last updated Nov 17, 2016