Danville, IN

my 3 year girl woke up sick with vomiting and now have black diarrhea. should i take her to the dr r just watch her?

Dr. Nela Cordero
BLACK DIARRHEA: Dark stools are usually due to iron intake not melena at this age. Depends on the severity of the sx or if not sure, see md.
Dr. Bradley Allen
Infectious Disease 30 years experience
Definitely.: Black stools could indicate the presence of bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract and should be evaluated. This can sometimes be painless and relatively free from other symptoms beyond inducing diarrhea - since blood acts to increase the rate of motility of the gut. There are also certain medicines and supplements that can cause dark or black stools (iron supplements, pepto-bismal type meds, etc.
Dr. Thomas Giaquinta
Specializes in Pediatrics
I would!: Black stools can be a sign of bleeding somewhere in the GI track. Luckily, the test for blood in the stool is a quick and easy test that can be done in your pediatrician's office. I would have her checked out there first.