CO
A female asked about a female:

my 2 year old was vomiting and now has diarrhea with black flakes. what could that be?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 39 years experience
Possibly melena?: Dark-colored stools may result from iron supplements, foods you eat (like a lot of spinach), substances (like peptobismol), but most significantly suggests bleeding. When blood is denatured by acid in stomach, as from ulcers, stools will turn tarry ("melena"). Blood may also be ingested from nose bleeds, bleeding gums, MW tears. Persistent melena (without obvious cause) & symptoms warrants eval.