Roselle, IL

i tweaked my right knee playing basketball last year and now when i put pressure on it at certain angles, it just gives out. what could this be?

Dr. Mike Moore
Dr. Mike Mooreanswered
See your doctor...: You may have sprained, or tore a tendon or ligament. Beyond analgesics, rest, ice, compression, & elevation it is necessary to consult a physician (orthopedic) for a complete evaluation of your knee. You may need imaging studes to fully diagnose the problem.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Knee gives out: It is time to be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon with an expertise in sports injuries. It sounds as if you may have a collateral ligament injury but there are numerous other ligament or tendon injuries that may be responsible. It is likely that an MRI will be required to confirm the diagnosis.
Dr. Hanriet Minasian
Ligament/meniscus: You may have injured a ligament or damaged the mediscus in your knee. First line treatment should include anti inflammatory medications, bracing, and physical therapy. If no relief within a reasonable time, an MRI is warranted to evaluate the ligaments of the knee and the menisci. Get evaluated sooner than later so that you minimize risk of further injury.