PA

how does prozac (fluoxetine) reduce pain? helps with my back pain/my neuropathy in my foot. doesn't seem to help all pain (fibromyalgia = not as much help)

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Chemicals: Prozac (fluoxetine) is approved for chronic headaches but otherwise lacks indication for chronic pain such as neuropathy. It may help improving the pain by improving underlying depression, even if it was subtle or undiagnosed. Improvements in depression are linked to heightened pain tolerance.
Dr. David Bozak
Specializes in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Serotonin: Prozac (fluoxetine) blocks the reuptake of serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that has a role in many processes like mood and pain. We don't know exactly how it helps with pain yet, but it could alter some of the pain signaling pathways and processing in the brain.

Last updated Jun 30, 2014