Do i need to be awake during surgical removal of basal cell carcinoma on the nose?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Michael Nordstrom answered

Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery

Maybe: It really depends on the size of the cancer, the doctors preferences and you as an individual. In my experience almost all of patiients tolerate it quite well under local anesthesia, however I have treated some patients with very large tumors requiring a significant reconstruction who would be done under a general anesthetic. Talk to your doctor about it.

Answered 7/17/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Kenneth Lee answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

Depends: Whether surgery is done under local anesthetic only, moderate sedation, or general anesthesia (completely asleep) depends on the patient or doctor preference, patients medical condition, and the size of the skin cancer. Many times, a large cancer requires a patient to be asleep for comfort. Reconstruction after the cancer is removed may require additional incisions as well.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.2k views