What can i do to help my baby stop wheezing?

Dr. Ruben Nazario
Specializes in Pediatrics
Breathing treatments: Wheezing is a high-pitched noise that signals inflammation in your baby's lungs. This inflammation narrows the baby's airway. The noise is similar to when you blow air through a narrowed straw. Breathing treatments with medicines called bronchodilators can decrease the narrowing of the baby's airways. Sometimes, just suctioning the nose of your baby helps decrease wheezing and breathing distress.
Dr. John Simpson
Suction nose: Wheezing is a form of noisy breathing that medical experts usually associate with lower respiratory disease. Sometimes the term is casually used by parents and child observers to characterize loud or noisy breathing. If a baby does have noisy breathing first try suctioning the nose to see if there is improvement. If not, contact your pediatrician to describe and discuss your baby's symptoms.
Dr. Zeda Amaya
Specializes in Pediatrics
Seek Guidance: The first step is to have a wheezing baby's provider determine the cause of the "wheezing" keeping in mind what may sound like wheezing to a parent may not actually be what a medical provider considers wheezing. Once the diagnosis is established, then we're in a better position to help parents care for their child's wheezing episodes. After that, it's a matter of follow up and follow through!