BD

what to do when your uric acid high?

Dr. Michio Abe
Uric acid: Uric acid comes from purines made naturally by your body as well as from purines in your diet. Avoid foods high in purines like red meats, organ meats, canned tuna, anchovies, mackerel, sardines, herring, mussels, scallops, shrimp and lobster. Avoid alcohol. Avoid sugar. Eat more plant-based proteins and drink lots of fluids. Choose low-fat or nonfat dairy products. The goa is <6.0 for hx of gout.
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder answered
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Look at trend also: If a lab test is abnormal, it is important to get older records to see how quickly it is changing and how abnormal is has been. That information can be obtained by a primary care doctor who can then refer a patient to providers with special expertise if needed.
Pathology 44 years experience
Dr. Yoder has given you good advice. However, it is not always useful to try to lower uric acid levels, since most folks (we don't know why) with this never develop gout. "Treat the person, not the lab value."
Jan 30, 2012
Dr. John Weeks
Dr. John Weeks commented
I don't routinely check uric acid levels on patients unless there is a clinical reason to do so; often there is not much of a track record to compare at first. I strongly agree we need to individualize care and not just treat the numbers.
Jan 30, 2012
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder commented
Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Provided original answer
Thanks for your input, doctors.
Feb 3, 2012
Dr. John Weeks
Find out why: Uric acid can be high with conditions ranging from trying to lose weight to cancer or kidney disease. High uric acid can cause gout attacks or kidney stones. There are medications like Allopurinol which lower uric acid levels. Check with your doctor.
Dr. Keith Klein
Nephrology and Dialysis 50 years experience
Uric acid: Depends on how high, if you have kidney stones or gout. If so, then you need to take medication. If you have a diet high in organ meats such as liver, lung, heart or brain, it is recommended to change, however the typical american diet does not contain enough purines, the precursor to uric acid, to make dietary changes worth doing. If the uric acid is over 12, treatment is indicated.