U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old member asked:

What to do about excessive bleeding during menstrual cycle? i soak through heavy and even overnight pads

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Cunnar
Family Medicine 28 years experience
See your physician: There are a number of things that need to be done. You need to make sure you aren't anemic. Thyroid testing might also be helpful. An ultrasound of your uterus can rule out benign fibroid tumors. If all of your testing comes back normal, oral contraceptive pills can be prescribed to decrease your heavy bleeding. Good luck!
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Family Medicine 61 years experience
Heavy menses: Persistant excessive menstrual bleeding requires medical attention. Call your doctor or gynecologist for an appointment for an evauluation.
Last updated Mar 6, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.