U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

Should i go to emergancy room for this? i have been menstrual bleeding for months now and the last two days it has been really bad, i have been bleeding threw overnight pads and tampons that hold the most, every 1 to 2 hours and sometimes going threw my c

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Internal Medicine 42 years experience
Make : Make an appointment to see your doctor urgently. If you can not get in, go to an urgent care or an emergency room. If the bleeding is accompanied by dizziness, weakness and fatigue you may be losing too much blood and be suffering from anemia. It is crucial you get assessed. Your doctors treatment plan may include hormone therapy (such as the birth control pill) to help regulate your cycle. Also, in extreme cases, some doctors have reocmmended a Mirena (levonorgestrel) intrauterine device, as the hormone in this device is known to remedy heavy bleeding.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Hemorrhaging: If you are going through BOTH a extra-heavy overnight pad and a super tampon every hour - would go to an emergency room.
Last updated Oct 28, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.