I have 3 post surgical fistulas. surgery was 9-22. what are my chances of them eventually collapsing? i have bowei drainage coming from the top gfistula.

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Carlo Contreras answered

Specializes in Surgical Oncology

It depends.: There are many different kinds of fistulas. How likely and how quickly they are to close depends on several things. First, what parts of the bowel are communicating through the fistulas? How is your nutritional level (have you lost a lot of weight)? Is there any foreign substance nearby (like mesh), do you have an infection, are you diabetic? So you see, you should talk to your doctor.

Answered 12/7/2012

6.1k views

Fistula closure: Fistula closure depends on several factors. Most important is how much is coming out per day? If the amount is minimal most will close with in several months. Definitely follow up with your surgeon.

Answered 2/25/2015

6.1k views

Complex question: Fistulas are a dreaded complication of surgery; if the output is low (less than 500ml per day) then there is a reasonable proability that they will close without requiring further operation.

Answered 6/12/2014

6.1k views