I've been an opiate addict for six years. quitting cold turkey scares me, but i don't want to be stuck on suboxone forever. what's the best choice?

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Pamela Pappas answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Addiction Medicine: To discuss your options, please consult with a physician trained in addiction medicine. S/he can provide some alternatives for you, with pros and cons. You can find such a doctor in your area through the american society of addiction medicine: http://www.Asam.Org/ there's a "find a physician" link on that site.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.2k views

Dr. Ricardo Borrego answered

Specializes in

IOOT: Intensive outpatient opiate treatment (ioot) is the best choice. Suboxone like Methadone are merely substitutes enabling the narcotic receptor to be occupied by a synthetic opiate yes Suboxone does also have an antagonist Naltrexone to antagonise the receptors which together lead to a life time use.Getting clean quickly, confidentially, and with good aftercare.Call clarity 248-562-7284 today!

Answered 2/18/2015

5.2k views

Dr. John Wilson answered

Specializes in

Suboxone: Get on Suboxone and then wean off that. It's long slow and safer.

Answered 7/6/2017

5.1k views

Dr. Brian Lynch answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Suboxone: This is the proverbial rock and a hard place. Not a lot of options. If you can stick with it. If you have the time and the money and support that's the best. There is a cocktail of no opiate medicines that will help you through much of this including Clonidine and sedatives .Otherwise Suboxone is an excellent choice and it helps stabilize you and keep you from using again.

Answered 3/17/2018

4.7k views