I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted on 01/21/2023, and i feel so depressed. i have missed 3 weeks of work and still have to go back because there is now something poking out of my gums?

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Not sure of what your question is, but wisdom tooth extractions are minor surgical procedures and sometimes additional post operative care is needed.

Answered 2/6/2023

0 views

Dr. Nilesh Dalal answered

Specializes in Periodontics

Extraction of wisdom teeth and depression are unrelated. There seems to be no known connection between the two. You may have relived some dental trauma of the past in the process and correlated it to the procedure. Also something poking out of the gums maybe a piece of bone or tooth which chipped or broke during the removal. Or it could be bone chips used for augmentation as well.

Answered 2/8/2023

0 views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

I do not know of any data specifically relating wisdom tooth extraction to depression. "Surgery" of any sort may trigger depression, but that may be due to metabolic or psychogenic imbalance, and should be addressed by a mental health professional. As to something poking out of our gums, it may be a post-surgical bone spicule that is easily removed.

Answered 2/11/2023

0 views