U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old male asked:

I have kidney iga nephropathy and minor glomerulonephritis. my kidneys are leaking calcium into my urine and im losing a lot of calcium in my urine. my ionized calcium is low. is there a surgery that can fix this or any treatment?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Birendra Tandan
Urology 36 years experience
No- no surgey. You need to be under the care of a good nephrologist who will stabilize your condition and treat you . Best wishes
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 44 years experience
IgA nephropathy is a form of glomerulonephritis so you have only one disease, IgA glomeruonephritis. Leaking the calcium (hypercalciuria) is one manifestation of primary hypoparathyroidism which is different from low calcium from low active vitamin D3 in CKD and resulted secondary hyperparathyroidism. The treatment for both conditions is active vitamin D3 and calcium supplement to keep Ca 8 - 8.5
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 26, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.