Miami, FL

what does an put of range high b12 mean in the absence of supplements?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Might be serious: I am sorry to tell you that high B12 levels can be a sign of serious health problems including liver ; kidney disease, myelproliferative disorders including leukemia ; polycythemia vera ; hypereosinophilic syndrome. High intake of B12 does not cause these. It is important for you to be evaluated to find the underlying cause. See http://healthyeating.Sfgate.Com/high-vitamin-b12-mean-9057.Htm.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Provided original answer
I answered this question previously saying it was nothing to worry about. While high B12 due to supplements is nothing to worry about, in the absence of supplements it may indicate serious issues. I apologize for not letting you know this in my original answer and hope it turns out to be nothing serious.
Jan 19, 2014
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management 17 years experience
Excess intake or: Elevated blood levels of vit B12 are not associated w/ toxicity but may be associated w/ various hematologic conditions (eg myeloproliferative neoplasms, hypereosinophilic syndrome, gray platelet syndrome, macrophage activation syndrome), in some cases secondary to liver damage causing release of of the stored vitamin (eg cirrhosis, hepatitis, primary or secondary liver cancer). Quite rare.

Last updated Jun 24, 2014