Sacramento, CA

why is it when they send my urine out for culture nothing grows yet when my doctor puts me on antibiotics i feel better?

Dr. Azen Jukic
Pathology 28 years experience
Varies: It depends. You might have bacteria that do not grow in the culture, you might have chlamydia, or you might have some inflammatory conditions that are not bacteria-caused. Most of the antibiotics (if not all) have anti-inflammatory effects, too. This is what makes you feel better. Unfortunately, getting too many antibiotics will also cause resistant bacteria and will make urine sample sterile.
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 32 years experience
Antibiotics: You may not have a urinary tract infection but an infection in another area of your body. Some antibiotics have other properties such as antinflammatory. Maybe the antinflammatory is the component that is helping you.

Last updated Apr 23, 2013