NJ

Very good afternoon doctors. i have to take a fleet enema for a transperineal prostate biopsy. i am very uncomfortable about administering it myself..can i take an oral laxative like miralax or dulcolax like i did when i prepared for my colonoscopy?

The type of bowel preparation needed for the different procedures is that found by your treatment team to work best in a given situation. A Fleet Enema is quite effective for outlet level clean out. MiraLAX or Dulcolax would not be as effective in general and may take several days of use to be even partially helpful. Discuss this with your doc. If there are options they will know the best ones.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Birendra Tandan
Urology 36 years experience
Good afternoon. Your rectum needs to be empty during the biopsy. The best thing is for you to call your Urologist to see if Miralax is acceptable to her/him.
Last updated Apr 19, 2022