United Kingdom

Are these test accurate for insulin resistance? or do i need insulin level test? my hba1c was 30% (4.9) and my fasting blood glucose was 4.4 nmol (79.2). my triglycerides are 60.1mg.dl, ldl is 90.7 and hdl is 47.8. docs are unsure if i have ir pcos?

Dr. Richard Romano
PCOS is diagnosed with more than blood tests. To answer this question specific to you, which is not available on this forum, you need a doctor's visit. The A1c at 4.9 is low, but this result is affected by your red blood count, so that needs to be considered. The glucose is normal at 79.1 is normal and not consistent with insulin resistance.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Pathology 50 years experience
All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Talk to the doctor who ordered the tests. Having said that, your results are not diagnostic of insulin resistance. Wish you good health!
Dr. Rebecca Gliksman
PCOS, includes irregular periods, hirsutism, obesity, acne is diagnosed by ultrasound of the ovaries for cysts and blood tests noting elevated androgens. Insulin resistance is associated with it but the blood work above is within normal limits (A1C is a bit low not high which is good) . f/u/w/gyn https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos
Last updated Mar 23, 2022