U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old female asked:

My ex has a ruptured bursa sac in the first joint of his big toe. dr popped a bubble under his skin that let the fluid that had leaked out ..and suggested surgery. it's still leaking the same fluid. can they go in and stitch up the bursa?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Trantalis, DPM
Podiatry 44 years experience
Is difficult to say exactly what the structure is until pathologist has given you a diagnosis but it sounds more like a ganglionic cyst. They can be removed surgically or sometimes they can be injected with a corticosteroid. The opening of the sack could be cauterized but the likely his occurrence is high
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 14, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.