Hello, had a kidney ultrasound that read kidneys were somewhat echogenic suggesting chronic renal disease. all other kidney function on bloodwork was normal, no protein in urine, and a history of hypertension. can this be resolved with bp medication?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

This comment about echogenicity does not mean your kidneys are diseased. As long as your blood creatinine is less than 1.4mg, your kidney are functioning fine. HBP should be kept under good control although I doubt if your high BP has anything to do with the findings stated on the ultrasound report. Right now I would ignore this comment and not worry about it.

Answered 2/18/2022

0 views

Dr. Hiep Le answered

Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis

There has to be a reason why the kidney ultrasound was done. If you had uncontrolled HTN for in the past, the hypertensive nephropathy which manifests as echogenic kidneys by ultrasound. In advanced cases, US will detect the cortical atrophy and loss of corticomedullary junction. Serum creatinine is not a sensitive marker, still in normal range in early disease. Echogenic kidneys may not reverse.

Answered 2/18/2022

0 views