U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 44-year-old female asked:

what can be done for a displaced meniscus or extrusion of the medial meniscus? i was told to live with it but i can't please explain and help me

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine 27 years experience
Arthroscopy: If your pain is truly from your meniscus, arthroscopic partial meniscectomy or repair is your best option.
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery 38 years experience
Displace meniscus: I am not sure why you were told to live with it. If the meniscus is displaced then you could benefit from arthroscopic surgery to remove it. Sometimes an extruded meniscus is seen with arthritis. Even then, if the pain is significant, surgery may give some relief. I would suggest that you seek a second opinion.
Dr. Charles Ruotolo
Orthopedic Surgery 26 years experience
Conservative : At your young age this can be treated with injections including viscosupplementation as well as an unloaded brace if you have a thin leg. Other options are low impact exercise, physical therapy, weight loss, nsaids and tylenol (acetaminophen).
Dr. Kenneth Merriman
Orthopedic Surgery 47 years experience
this poor lady keeps asking these same ? over and over and over on this site she might be better served by going and getting a 2nd opinion maybe a scope would help unfortunately i doubt that the injections will do much in this situation
Apr 21, 2013

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 46-year-old member asked:

What are some of the treatments for medial meniscus tears?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Howard Luks
Dr. Howard Luksanswered
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Depends...: Treatment of meniscus tears depend on your age, the type of tear, the amount of pain you are having, if you have any other issues (arthritis, ligament injures). Not all tears require treatment --- only some tears require treatment. Some can be treated observation, rest, activity modification, some tears will feel better with therapy, and others may require surgery. Talk w/ your doctor.
A 24-year-old member asked:

What are the uses of coxcomb injections for a meniscus bursa condition?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Edward Neilsen
Family Medicine 19 years experience
Synvisc (hylan g-f 20): Synvisc (hylan g-f 20) is derived from compound found in the comb of roosters. It's chief component is hyaluronic acid, which attracts water and at least theoretically promotes new cartilage to develop, thereby increasing "cushioning" in the joint.
A 29-year-old member asked:

Are there any factors that makes someone more prone to having meniscus injuries?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kevin Stone
Specializes in Sports Medicine
Meniscus tears: Tight knee joints tear the meniscus cartilage more than loose ones except if the ACL or PCL is torn then the meniscus will usually tear eventually.
A 35-year-old member asked:

Why would I have 3 meniscus injuries in less than 3 yrs?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
Knee instability: You need to be evaluated by an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in ports medicine and knee injuries. Your meniscal injuries could very well be the clinical symptom of underlying ligamentous injury that allows your knee to move with abnormal kinematics injuring the meniscus via rotatory instability. If it is the medial (inside) meniscus, varus deformity and medial collapse may also be responsible.
A 43-year-old female asked:

What is a medial meniscus displacement? What can be done to fix the displacement?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Family Medicine 23 years experience
Out of place: My guess: displacement means it is pushed/displaced from its original location from some type of injury/trauma i.E a tear. If it is slight and not causing pain, you may not nee to do anything. If it is causing some discomort, motrin/aleve and physical therapy/knee rehab may help. If still persistent, you may need to see an ortho for a possible surgical correction .. Consult your doc... Good luck.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Jul 31, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.