TX

My hida scan was norm, i just got a letter from dr. i have sludge and pain in luq and lower left as well as ruq what could this mean.

Dr. Edward Timmins
32 years experience
Need further work-up: Sludge is basically thickened bile and is non specific finding. If hida is normal, and i assume no gallstones, i would look elsewhere for cause of pain before blaming gallbladder. Especially with pain in luq and llq. Not the usual places for gb pain. I would suggest further GI work up that may include endoscopy, GI series and/or colonoscopy depending upon other symptoms.
Dr. Joseph Accurso
Radiology 30 years experience
Was Kinevac used?: Hida scan with Kinevac (generic name sincalide) allows for evaluation of gallbladder emptying. Sometimes hida scan alone appears normal, but gallbladder is not functioning (emptying) well, which can cause pain (possibly spasms). Amount of emptying is called the ejection fraction and normal is generally greater than 50%.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 53 years experience
Probably not gb: Most symptoms related to gall bladder occur in right upper quadrant of the abdomen. Your symptoms sound like other portions of the gastrointestinal tract may be involved, sludge or gravel in gall bladder does not usually cause symptoms and can disappear with time. Endoscopy, blood tests, and other imaging testing will examine large bowel and small bowel for possible contribution to your symptoms.
Last updated Nov 10, 2014