Had knee arthroscopy for a torn knee meniscus which was trimmed. now 6 week out , just mild pain morning only but i have fluid buildup protruding from my knee cap (half a tennis ball). ive been icing, elevating my foot, was taking motrin.why happng?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
This should be seen by the surgeon who did your arthroscopy. Your surgeon will know exactly what was done and whether having a fluid collection is part of your recovery or if it is unexpected. He may be able to get a sample of the fluid for analysis to find out what is causing this fluid to collect. So, see your surgeon. Best of luck to you! Feel better soon!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Matthew Baker
Orthopedic Surgery 14 years experience
There is increased fluid produced after knee surgery. Use an ace wrap for gentle compression and it should go away
Last updated Oct 25, 2021