TX

Hi. i have been having lower back ache and numbness and tingling in my left leg. i had an x-ray of my entire spine and it was normal. could this be cancer? are spinal tumors missed upon x-ray? 25 year old?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Many things can cause the symptoms you are having. You likely need an MRI of your lumbar/sacral spine to find out what is causing your symptoms. You may need to see a neurologist for further testing as well. Do you have any history of back trauma? Go to the nearest ER for any worsening of symptoms. See your doctor for further testing and referrals to neurology and/or spine specialist. Good luck!
Dr. Jeffrey Trantalis, DPM
Podiatry 43 years experience
Your problem could be A misalignment or biomechanical miss function. Having one leg longer than the other or a pelvic rotation can cause similar symptoms especially in a young person
Oct 4, 2021
Neurology 53 years experience
Agree with Dr Ferranti, as it may well be that you have a "pinched nerve" in your lower back causing the left leg issues. A normal X-ray will not reveal internal problems in the lumbosacral cistern. Perhaps you would benefit by a second opinion.
Dr. Donald Colantino
I think that you're being evaluated by a neurologist is inevitable and you could save a lot of time by seeing a neurologist straightaway. A herniated intervertebral disc in the lumbosacral spine is high on the list of possibilities.
Dr. Matthew Baker
Orthopedic Surgery 13 years experience
You likely need an MRI of your lower spine to find out what is causing your symptoms. You may need to see a neurosurgeon for further testing and treatment. Do you have any history of back trauma? Any problems using the bathroom? If so go to the nearest ER for any worsening of symptoms. See your doctor referral to spine specialist.
Last updated Oct 6, 2021