Atlanta, GA

Went dr in april had blood work kidneys were fine went obgyn yesterday they said my bun creatinine ratio was a 4 is that bad. april i was a 9 bun creatinine 10.2 would water help,this has me in panic?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Infectious Disease 54 years experience
Something is wrong here. It's impossible to have both BUN that low (entirely normal) and creatinine that high (which would indicate advanced kidney failure). Confirm the lab results and then check back with your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Pathology 50 years experience
All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Talk to the doctor who ordered the tests. Having said that, it would have helped had you listed the BUN and creatine results. Information is lost in a ratio. Wish you good health!
Last updated Jun 27, 2021