United Kingdom

Is swelling underneath jaw normal after lower wisdom tooth extraction? it was only done today but the pain/ swelling is underneath my jaw rather than my cheek?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Appears normal.
Dr. James Bates
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 36 years experience
It sounds to me like your swelling is within normal limits, particularly since it's only just the day of your surgery. Swelling is usually more in the cheeks than underneath the jaw, but it depends on a multitude of factors including the location and degree of impaction of the wisdom teeth and the amount of bone removal and overall tissue trauma required to surgically remove them. Stay healthy!

Last updated May 13, 2021