Colorado Springs, CO

quarter sized abscess on cheek and jaw post wisdom tooth extraction. was drained and sown up (no drain left in) 3 days ago. should it still be hard?

Dr. Ronald Ward
Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Abscess: Will take several months to soften up. Apply warm moist compresses
Dr. Jerry Brown
Dr. Jerry Brown commented
Prosthodontics 53 years experience
Consider another visit with dentist who removed wisdom tooth. May be another reason why abscess has not disappeared.
Jan 9, 2018
Dr. Debra Rosenblatt
Dentistry 38 years experience
See below: Call or make an appointment with the dental practitioner that extracted your tooth to differentiate normal healing from infection and possible need for antibiotic therapy.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Answer: This is a question best answered by ther GeneralDentist or specialist Oral Surgeon that has been treating you, knows your pre-surgical condition and your post-surgical history. That practitioner is the one who can best describe to your the landmarks that are expected along the road to recovery, and the best person to decide if additional treatment is indicated.