SC

I recently received elevated liver enzymes (alt 149, ast 63), so my doctor ordered an ultrasound. that only thing that came back was a benign hemangioma. could this be causing my elevated enzyme levels or is it likely something else?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
It is likely something else. Some medications can cause an elevation in liver enzymes so check with your doctor to see if that is possible. Avoid acetaminophen and alcohol while you are investigating why your enzymes are elevated. Are you having other symptoms? A visit with a liver specialist may be helpful if the etiology is not apparent to your primary care doctor. Good luck to you!
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Agree with Dr Ferranti that the finding on imaging is not likely to be at the root of your mild increase in liver enzymes. A thorough review of all meds, OTC and supplements along with avoiding alcohol followed by repeating labs is a common initial approach. Your doc remains your best reference at this point having access to critical details in proper clinical context.
Pathology 49 years experience
All laboratory results need to be interpreted in the clinical context and the doctor who ordered the tests is usually in the best position to do that. Talk to the doctor who ordered the tests. Having said that, a transient viral infection could have caused this.If you drink alcohol, stop entirely. Do not take acetaminophen and retest in 3-6 months. Hemangioma is not a cause Wish you good health

Last updated May 2, 2021