I suffer from eczema on the hands year round. i recently developed two perfectly round rings on the side of my hands. can ringworm be painful?

Dr. Brian Wilhelmi
13 years experience
Itching: Eczema is common caused by contact allergens (gloves, wetness, fur) and causes inflammation which is itchy. The areas you are referring to might have become lichenified or inflamed to the point where they are red, thickened, and painful. This does not discount the fact that skin breakdown from eczema can increase your chance of opportunistic infections like the fungus that causes ringworm.
Last updated Apr 20, 2013