India

I have eczema on my right hand fingers and right leg toes.my doctor said that it is eczema.is eczema is present only on dry skin individuals only?i have*dry and oilyskin*.is it eczema or not?mymom&her dad have eczema,but her skin type is oily and dry?

Dr. Yvette Kratzberg
Eczema can occur in a variety of skin types. The hallmark of the disease itself is the reddened skin and dry flaky skin which occurs in certain patches. If your Dr has diagnosed you with Eczema, your best course of action would be to keep the area clean without overdrying with hot water, use emollient lotions and ointments to maintain the skin moisture and use topical steroids for bad outbreaks.
Dr. Maria Rueda
Dermatology 27 years experience
Going just by your description, I’d say that It’s rare to have eczema on only one hand and one foot. Often, Dermatomycosis(fungus) is confused with eczema. It’s oK to keep your skin well moisturized ( Cetaphil lotion and cleanser too),but I recommend you to ask your Doc to do a KOH test. It’s positive if fungus. Better if you could see a Dermatologist because often “oily&dry” skin is seborrhea.

Last updated Apr 22, 2021