Englewood, CO
A 25-year-old female asked about a 62-year-old male:

mri shows i tore acl, lateral meniscus root, mcl, and small impaction fracture of lateral tibial plateau. won't see a surgeon for another week. is it safe to walk around with a brace with no crutches or will it make my knee worse?

Dr. Sue Ferranti
I would strongly recommend non-weight bearing until the surgeon evaluates the knee. The tibial plateau fracture could get worse by putting weight on it. So, either crutches and non-weight bearing or a wheelchair. The surgeon will then recommend the best treatment. Good luck-feel better soon!!
Dr. Kevin Watson
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
I would limit weightbearing as much as you can with crutches. However, you do want to do range of motion to your knee so it does not get stiff.