U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old male asked:

I experience an intense pain when beginning to eat or drink something. it's on either side of my face in the parotid gland area. it subsides after the 2nd bite. this action produces a lot of saliva as well. t1 diabetic. which doc should i approach?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 54 years experience
Suspect that the source of pain is the jaw and you likely have "TMJ" syndrome. A dentist would be an excellent resource to evaluate jaw and dental stability.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Mar 11, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.