U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old female asked:

I have a lump on my breast, just under the areola. the skin is red, it feels hard, but it moves if i touch it, it is a little sore when i touch it. how do i know if its breast cancer or something else?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Yvette Kratzberg
Pediatrics 25 years experience
Any breast lump should be examined in person by your Dr. The texture, mobility, any connections to other structures as well as its external appearance are important indicators of cause. You will most likely also need a mammogram or breast ultrasound to determine if this is infection, tumor, fat necrosis or cyst.
Dr. Richard Romano
Internal Medicine 10 years experience
See a doctor. A hard lump in the breast needs a careful examination. Usually, we say that a painful lump in the breast in a young lady is not concerning, but that is not 100% true in all cases. Agan see a doctor

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 3, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.