Brick, NJ

went to er w/palpitations.istat potassium 2.6mmol/l,carbon dioxide 32.everything else was pretty good. dr said to double potassium supplement.low potassium likely due to 50 mg hctz daily for bp. also take amlodipine.how much potassium should i take?

Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 42 years experience
Use Aldactazide: K of 2.6 mmol/L is a dangerous level. Your body is depleted at least 300 mEq of K and it needs to be repleted first then you will need 40 mEq of K a day for future daily loss. However, I suggest to replace Hctz with Aldactazide (Spironolactone/Hydrochlorothiazide) 25/25 mg/mg which prevents K loss and much more effective for hypertension control.