Ridgewood, NY

i was taking benicar (olmesartan) 40/25mg for my blood pressure but lost my insurance and benicar (olmesartan) is too expensive. doctor gave me yesterday amlodipine 2.5mg and hctz 25mg. it don't seem to be working is it good?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
Yes: Hctz (hydrochlorothiazide) 25 is the same ingredient you were receiving in your benicar. Amlodipine is good but your dose is very small. 5 or 10 mg is the dose most commongly used but 10 mg causes harmless swelling in the ankes in many people. If you're not allergic, a cheaper, better choice would be Lisinopril 10 to 40 mg - the cost is only $4/month, even less than amlodipine and as effective as Benicar (olmesartan).
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management 17 years experience
BP Med options : Could try a generic ace inhibitor or arb (both similar to benicar) + hctz (hydrochlorothiazide). Amlodipine 2.5 mg is the starting dose and your doctor will likely increase it to 5 and then 10 mg in day to come.
Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 48 years experience
BP control: Your physician can increase the dose of amolipine (a) up to a maximum dose of 10 mg/day. Perhaps the low dose of a you were started on was given to avoid hypotension when you were starting it. Speak to your physician about this and get his opinion about it.