I plan to keep my baby in a bassinet in my room for month 0-6 to keep them near and to reduce sids. that said, is it safe to move my baby to a crib in their own room after month 6? or is sids risk still high? i don't want to move the crib to my room?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. James Ferguson answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Some thoughts: SIDS remains an elusive & troublesome issue. The move to keeping them on their back to sleep in the 90's saw a significant decline in frequency. Remove the factors of prematurity/smokers in the home you have done what you can. Baby oxygen monitors don't help nor would keeping them close. I am in favor of whatever lets you get the most sleep. A separate room is okay from the start.

Answered 2/12/2021

5 views

Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

By all means: I think most us moms feel more at ease with our babies near us, but not sharing the same bed. Safe sleep practices include placing the baby always on their back to sleep, make sure the mattress is firm and please do not place any pillows, blankets or toys in the bed with the baby. Highest risk for SIDS are the first 4 mo of life. Also avoid over bundling.

Answered 2/12/2021

5 views