Is it safe to take 5 htp for anxiety relief? have tried many ssris and none seem to work for me. tried lexapro and it did not work and then tried zoloft and didnt feel like myself?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Krishna Kumar answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

I understand your distress. You deserve “anxiety relief” 5 HTP is NOT specific medication for Anxiety. At age 19, you are likely going through stresses of • Relationship • Separation • Breakups • School • Finances • Lack of emotional support • Loneliness Please see a Psychiatrist for: •Therapy for stresses in your life •Breathing Relaxation •Medication •Meditation •Yoga •Guided Visual Imagery

Answered Nov 15, 2020

26 views

Dr. Charles Turck answered

Specializes in Pharmacology

There have been mixed results when taking 5-HTP for anxiety. If it’s effective, it seems weaker than the prescription meds it’s been compared to. And at higher doses (≥225 mg), it may worsen anxiety. Understand that 5-HTP works somewhat similarly to the anxiety meds you’ve tried. You may respond differently to it, but it has the same side effects generally as the kind of meds you’ve tried

Answered Nov 18, 2020

25 views