Ashburn, VA

My mother has covid and was prescribed clarithromycin an antibiotic and dextromethorphan which is a cough suppressant and paracetamol... is this good? i mean i'm no doctor but these suppress fever and viral release through cough should she use?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Observe: Watch for signs of respiratory distress, worsening cough and uncontrolled fever. The combination of medications is recommended, but the Tylenol is only for fever of T 101 of higher. Avoid NSAIDs, encourage fluids and rest.
COVID 19: The Clarithromycin was likely prescribed due to concerns about possible secondary bacterial infection. If she is coughing so much that it is causing problems (such as with sleep) that is likely why a cough suppressant was ordered. I see no problems with her taking paracetamol. . Get emergency care for difficulty breathing, blue lips or face, significant & persistent chest pain