U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 40-year-old female asked:

My 3 week old newborn was exposed to carbon monoxide for about 30 seconds from the stove not igniting. we could smell it while walking with him downstairs.. will this harm the baby?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 35 years experience
Usually no worries: If a stove is supposed to ignite, and does not ignite, then one need not worry about carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is produced by something burning, so no ignition means nothing is burning, which means carbon monoxide is not being produced. Secondly, carbon monoxide has no odor, which means nobody can smell carbon monoxide. If you smell it, it is something other than carbon monoxide.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 14, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.