U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old member asked:

If i left the stove for 8 hours can i get carbon monoxide poisoning?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Julian Bragg
Neurology 19 years experience
Typically not: While this is possible, proper ventilation and maintenance should prevent carbon monoxide from forming and building up. A home carbon monoxide detector can help make sure you are not in danger.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Darren Gitelman
A Verified Doctoranswered
38 years experience
Possibly: Carbon monoxide (co) is formed when burning fuel for example gas, but not electric stoves. If the stove is not burning properly or not vented properly then co can build up. If you are concerned there are home co detectors that you can buy at hardware stores, which will tell you if the level is too high.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

A 36-year-old member asked:

Left stove on 14 hours, could this have caused carbon monoxide poisoning?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 54 years experience
Maybe: Gas stoves could be faulty. Get your home checked for carbon monoxide levels. Detectors are available at numerous hardware stores, and by most codes, should be present in homes. Your utility company could also check the situation.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Eric Levin
Dr. Eric Levin commented
Psychiatry 43 years experience
some local fire companies offer them for free!
Jul 5, 2013
Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Holly Maes commented
Pediatrics 38 years experience
Local fire department will also check level acutely if you are concerned..
Dec 13, 2020
A 43-year-old member asked:

Do I have carbon monoxide poisoning? I left stove on for 12 hours..

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Kerrie Pinkney
Palliative Care 29 years experience
Probably not : But you don't give enough information. I would assume you have a gas stove. You give no symptoms. If you have headache, dizziness, and nausea, these are the most common symptoms. If you can improve the ventilation in the home and do not leave the stove on. Please note these symptoms are also common with other things as well.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Canada
A 38-year-old female asked:

How do you get tested for chronic carbon monoxide poisoning?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Oscar Novick
Pediatrics 60 years experience
CO poisoning: A simple blood test can give you the answer.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Glenn Burns
Dr. Glenn Burns commented
Emergency Medicine 21 years experience
The test is called "carboxyhemoglobin". Smokers often have levels of 4-6. Chain smokers maybe 10. Treatment is recommended for acute levels above 30 (above 20 with symptoms and above 15 if pregnant). The half life of breathing fresh air is about five hours. That means even if your level was 50, you would at the level of a regular smoker in 15 hours. The best treatment is don't get exposed.
Oct 27, 2015
Last updated Jun 10, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.