Hi. my now 5 year old son has a swollen lymph node on the right side of his upper neck back of his ear its there since 3 years measures 13mm by 6mm.it didnt change or grow.he is otherwise active and healthy.why didnt it go down?ent pedi not concerned?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Probably benign: It is relatively common to have enlarged neck nodes in children. This is due to repeated virus infections(Head colds, sore throat). Since it has not increased in size over 2 years, it is unlikely to be a cancerous node(Lymphoma). I would advise you to keep an eye and check it /measure it once every 6 months. As long as it does not grow in size above 1.5cm(15mm), I would not be concerned.

Answered 9/6/2020

47 views

Agree with Dr. L: You may feel the node every couple of weeks, if the lymph gland doubles in size, becomes painful, ulcerates, or other nodes become enlarged, or he develops fever, or loses weight, you should see a doctor. Wish you and your son good health!

Answered 9/7/2020

46 views