Lake Oswego, OR

last year in july after having xrays of both knees that showed bone on bone,i had the first cortisone shot in my left knee and the third shot in my right knee.orthopedic surgeon recommends both knees be replaced asap.since i have much unfinished work to do before risking the possibility of a longer than usual recovery.i am doing strengthening exercises and ride bicycle,just rode thirty miles.what else can i do my knees, especially my right knee, have been getting worse over the last 15 years?

Dr. David Ellis
Severe knee arthrit : Strengthening the supporting muscles is very important along with getting down to your best weight possible. Certainly a BMI below 30 and maybe more like 25. When to exercise swimming, biking. Very low impact exercise. Glucosamine can be used but with severe arthritis it may be minimal. Gel injections can help some before replacement.