U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
San Jose, CA
A 29-year-old male asked about a 65-year-old female:

Someone i'm close with has vitiligo and i recently noticed that they have 3 large dark affected areas on their upper back. they look patchy and have light pink color around and within the areas. she is in her mid 60s. what might this be?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Lauren Bickel
Specializes in Family Medicine
Several causes: This kind of change can be due to a benign skin fungus (color change may be accentuated with sun exposure) which is easy to treat, but a primary care provider or dermatologist should probably examine the areas to determine if a biopsy might be needed to rule out something more serious

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 7, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.