U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 35-year-old female asked about a 33-year-old male:

What can cause progressively rising wbc count, now 23, 000, enlarged lymph nodes, and severe side cramps under ribs mainly on right side?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Binu Nair
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology 20 years experience
Urgent: Need urgent testing for leukemia and lymphoma and. Infections, see your doctor urgently.
Dr. Aruna Adaikkalam
Internal Medicine 39 years experience
Need to see your PC: Considering the above symptoms and signs, there is a need to set up an appointment with your pcp or hemotologist/oncologist asap. Do you have any fever, chills, sweating, bleeding tendency, weight loss + bone pains.Though chronic infections can cause above picture like tb, TB like infections , brucellosis etc, blood problems like lymphoma, leukemias need to be ruled out. Need to get detailed work up.
Dr. Aruna Adaikkalam
Internal Medicine 39 years experience
Provided original answer
No need to have all the symptoms I mentined above. If you have night sweats and weight loss , need to see the hematologist/oncologist urgently .
Apr 17, 2013
Dr. Dwain Rickertsen
37 years experience
Family practice: An elevated WBC count in indication on inflammation and possible infection. With enlarged ln's another sign of infection , your body trying to filter out your body. Pain right side under rib cage can be gallbladder disease. Other possibilities come to mind but list is fairly long. You will need an ultrasound or ct of the abdomen. See your dr for evaluation.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Mar 23, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.