I recently took diflucan thinking i had a yeast infection, but now i am taking metronidzole. my symptoms seem to be the same(burning, intense itching, discharge). is it possible i have something else? only been taking the medicine for a day.

Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
Yes: From symptoms to treatment, a diagnosis is always needed in order to connect them. While your symptoms are suggesting vaginitis, causes of which may be infectious and non infectious, the type of infection or condition remains unknown. By treating empirically you take the risk of delaying the right treatment. Seeing your doc for an exam and cultures as needed will be best in this situation.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 5, 2020